Tips to improve your CV (I)
What should be our presentation card when introducing ourselves to the companies is often one of our greatest enemies. Usually, the human resources departments have a limited time for all the amount of curriculum vitae they receive, so the first to be discarded will be those that do not provide the information, in content and shape, that businesses expect.
To convert the CV into an ally to help us go through all filters satisfactorily there are some simple guidelines that can open many doors for us and put us in an advantageous position against other candidates:
1. PROPER EXTENSION: Before we start reading, what catches our eye is the amount of information. Don’t write three pages if you can write two and don’t write two if you can write one. Lighten the weight by telling only what is important. It is assumed that you know how to surf the Internet, omit it.
2. ADJUST THE CV: Find out about the company you want to work in and highlight those aspects of your training and experience that are more consistent with their activity. If you decide to promote all content alike, the feeling will be that you have spammed with the same document dozens of companies to try your luck.
3. MANDATORY REVIEW: It should not be something to warn about, but unfortunately resumes with spelling mistakes, syntactical errors, repetition of words or phrases… arrive everyday to the human resources departments. When you have finished writing it, review it several times. And when you’re done reviewing it several times, check it once again.
4. DO NOT LIE: It is a commonly accepted action, but in the long run is negative. If thanks to your “little lies” you pass the filter and reach a personal interview, not only you will be exposed, but it is very likely that from that moment you are banned in that company.
5. THE IMPORTANCE OF PHOTO: If you choose to include a photo, make sure it’s formal, not a cut from night party pic. It is also important to use a recent image, so attempt to change it from time to time when you update your resume.
In the next post we will offer another five tips to improve your resume.
En la próxima entrada te ofreceremos otros cinco consejos para mejorar tu currículum vitae.